No Comment: Molson Coors Knows What Women Want–Pink Beer

It seems ad execs at Molson Coors were looking for a new way to alienate include women. With only 17 percent of Molson Coors’ sales coming from women, company heads knew they had to do something.

But instead of, say, rethinking their exclusively male-targeted ad campaigns for Coors Light (for example), they’ve found a simpler solution: red food coloring. In London this fall, Molson Coors is launching Animée Beer, a new product aimed at that elusive woman beer customer. It’s pink! Problem solved.

In essence, Molson Coors has kept the doors locked on its “no-girls-allowed” beer clubhouse, but poked its head out to say, “Hey look! We set up a crappy flowered tent next door. You guys can hang out there.”

The new “beer” comes in three different flavors, clear filtered, crisp rose, and zesty lemon. Molson Coors understands that women would never be interested in drinking beer that tastes like beer. We only drink chardonnay and wine coolers. Guardian columnist Melissa Cole, who taste-tested Animee, writes, “If anyone can identify anything even approaching a normal beer flavour in any of these drinks I’ll eat my hat.”

Product development heads at Molson also know the best way to market to women is to make us self-conscious about our bodies. So their new brew is low-cal and “bloat-resistant.” (What this pseudo-scientific advertising claim actually means is unclear.)

The irony is that for a moment there, it seemed Molson had actually caught onto the fact that they (along with most other beer companies) have been alienating women for decades. A woman spokesperson for the brewery said:

One of the things we need to recognize in the industry is that we’ve effectively ignored 50 percent of the population for many years. There’s something fundamentally wrong with the relationship women have with beer.

If Molson Coors needed help rectifying this, instead of pinkwashing their product, they could have looked at recent marketing survey findings. The number one reason women said they don’t buy beer is because they’re put off by the “inherent sexism in [its] advertising and marketing.” Surprisingly, “beer is an ugly shade of yellow-brown” was nowhere to be found on the list of women’s hangups.

So while Molson Coors claims to have seen the light, this recent product launch proves they’re still as clueless as ever. All I want to know is: Was everyone at Molson Coors drunk when they thought up this latest scheme?

Photo from Molson Coors UK.

Comments

1. Beth Glover says:

Is there a petition site, or some way to contact them to inform them that they are way off base
    and that they should conduct a whole hell of a lot of focus groups? Even Budweiser with the Clydesdales…everyone likes horses, but probably 80-90% of horse handlers, owners, breeders, trainers in the USA are women. We are the experts. Period. Did you ever see a woman anywhere near those Clydesdales? Oh by the way, I’ve ridden one. Yes women are, in real life, around the Clydesdales. Women are in the multi billion dollar horse business, big time. We buy the trucks, we buy horse trailers. We also buy plenty of wine, not just “wine coolers” either. I’m talking owning shares of vineyards. I have a friend who buys $300 wine. We can buy beer if we want to. Why don’t they focus on the qualities of their product instead of stupid man cave jokes all the time?

• The best petition is to buy from craft brewers.

This product is going to flunk. People who buy beer based on color probably won’t care for beer with strange tastes. People who buy beer on taste probably won’t care for beer with food coloring. Nobody who drinks beer as a craft will buy Coors, Budweiser, or Miller because those corporations routinely without fail try to destroy the craft industry.

If you really love beer, don’t buy terrible beer. If you love terrible beer, buy from a competitor. Market failure speaks wonders.

• I agree with you BOTH….”Molson Coors understands that women would never be interested in drinking beer that tastes like beer.” Wow, that’s a HUGE assumption, considering I LOVE beer, particularly microbrews….and they’re way off with changing the color….they didn’t take into account that there are actually females out there that greatly dislike the color pink….definitely a marketing plunder….

2. …I LOVE beer. This product excludes me and any other women (and I KNOW there are some) who like beer, suggesting that we are less feminine because we enjoy a manly beverage. Now that there’s this fluffy pink imposter beer, must I be expected to drink it because I am a woman and women drink pink beer? Are the commercials going to imply that women should drink pink beer and not regular beer? …Because that’s just dumb, and I don’t know how this ever got the go-ahead.

3. Julian Morrison says:

You want funny colored beer with a fruity taste? Try kriek.

Benefit: made in Europe, and not advertised with sexism.

• Love Kriek! It is the only beer I ever drink. It is real beer often brewed with fruit. Better than ultra sweet wine coolers anyday.

4. I like beer. Actually, I love beer. I love bitter, citrusy IPAs and thick, dark porters. Basically I love anything but weak fizzy yellow water and fruity flavored pseudo-beer, which tends to weed out most commercially brewed American beers. Has Coors considered that maybe they’re not getting the female dollar because their beer is terrible? Testosterone-driven marketing aside, I don’t buy their beer because it tastes bad. I’m not concerned about the calorie count (I know what I’m getting into when I crack a cold one) and I love the varying colors of the many fantastic beers on the market.

I really hope there aren’t enough women who will fall for this scheme to make the product profitable. In short, I hope it goes down faster than the Titanic. Know who I think their biggest buyers will be? Coors-drinking men who want to get their wives off their cases for drinking too much beer. “Honey, I’m home, and do I have something for YOU!”

5. Yes, this is offensive on SO many levels but….

“Molson Coors understands that no one would ever be interested in drinking beer that tastes like beer.”

There, fixed that for yah.

It’s got to be their operating premise, because otherwise why would they continue to make something that’s almost, but not quite, entirely unlike beer. (apologies to Douglas Adams)

“It’s in the water, that’s why it’s yellow!”

The most effective way to let them know is ….don’t buy their crap. Patronize your local microbrews.

They make beer that tastes like beer in all it’s marvellous flavors…and it’s fresh.

6. Cactus Wren says:

I don’t drink beer at all, for various reasons not relevant here, and I’ll never drink this … stuff.

So the consensus seems to be that women who don’t drink beer won’t drink this, and women who do drink beer won’t either. So, um … ?

7. Andrea Elliott says:

Just want to say that I love what all of you are saying above! I, also, do not buy Coors/Miller/Bud because they SUCK!!! I happen to agree with my brother, who believes that Budweiser is really bottled Clydesdale pee. Except that Clydesdale pee probably tastes stronger, not that I want to find out ;o). I prefer a nice Bass Ale, or something of the like.

8. Laura B. says:

Ewwwwwwww. Here’s a tip: you want THIS woman to drink your beer? MAKE BETTER BEER.

9. katrinka says:

Eh, I don’t really like beer, I’m a cider drinker mostly and I do like the “pretty coloured” wines more than reds so I would actually give this a shot. I’ve had a few dark beers and a chocolate beer that I liked but for the most part I like lighter beer with a fruity note (frulli comes to mind) Somehow I suspect this might actually taste like the beer and juice mix you get at college parties, jungle juice anyone? and so I wouldn’t have any high expectations.

10. Ugh, this just continues to reaffirm my hatred for corporate beer.

My question is, what self-respecting woman employed by Molson-Coors would let this abomination occur? If I worked for that company, as a woman, I would picket and protest outside.

Dear Molson Coots,

Way to be degrading by taking an already stripped down poor excuse for a beer and stripping it down further and spiking it with artificial ingredients and color just to target women. Sure give me lots of self-confidence.

I’m just happy that I won’t have to deal with this product in the U.S.!

Cheers,

Ashley

11. Creative, advertising and marketing are exempt from feminist viewpoints especially when it comes to driving dollars and brand awareness. If Molson Coors wants to make a beer that is pink, low=cal and bloat-free, kudos to their creative concept, development and implementation.

12. You know, there are a lot of women who like to drink things such as Mike’s Hard Lemonade, Smirnoff Ice, etc. Why does this even matter? These will probably fail and be off the shelves soon enough anyway.

13. I definitely think they were drinking their own crappy beer when they thought of this idea. I would like for them to apologies for this blunder and face the truth that they don’t really want women in their little boys club. Maybe they can hire a few women to actually bring some creative idea in this company.