Today marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of one of the classic texts of feminism’s Second Wave, Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique. The book was a bestseller, the title entered the lexicon and women were offered a name for “the problem that has no name.”
Here’s a little Feminine Mystique at 50 quiz for you to answer in Comments:
1. Have you read Betty Friedan’s famous book?
2. How old were you when you read it?
3. Did it affect your becoming a feminist?
4. What stood out most for you in the book?
5. Did you ever reread it? Recently? Did you learn something new or have a different critique?
6. Would you recommend it to other feminists to read? Why or why not?