We <3 McGill University for Reclaiming the "F-Word"

No, Limbaugh and your like, you can no longer label feminists as typical “bra-burning, butch, bitchy, feminazi” women. The Feminist Collective of the Law School of McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, is here to prove the wide diversity of feminism with their new campaign, “McGill Law Feminists.

The campaign collected photographs of McGill staff, faculty and students of all different religions, races, ethnicities and genders, all declaring themselves as feminists. McGill is reclaiming the word from those who, over the years, have changed “feminism” to the “f-word“, reprimanding women (and men) as if they’ve cursed.

Here is a look at some McGill Law’s feminists. To see the whole campaign, check out their Tumblr:

mcgill 1 mcgill 7 mcgill 6 mcgill 5 mcgill 4 mcgill 3 mcgill 2

Photos courtesy of McGill Faculty of Law

rsz_ms

Lindsey O’Brien is a 21-year-old journalist, and she is a FEMINIST. Follow her on Twitter

Comments

1. I’ve been a feminist since the early ’70′s.

2. Arlene Chasek says:

Thank you for posting this and helping to reclaim the word “feminist” from the misogynists.

3. Awesome campaign! I wanted to highlight that a group of students at McGill have also created a new feminist publication on campus called ‘F Word’; their first issue launches tomorrow. Check them out @ https://www.facebook.com/fwordmcgill .

4. Check out the MIT campaign for the 150th anniversary of MIT… included the University president and LOTS of people. GREAT campaign McGill!

5. Art Jaszczyk says:

I am 64 years young and I am a socialist and a feminist. :-)

6. Madeena Nolan says:

Thank God for the young women–and men!–who embrace the f-word! I worked for the ERA, wept (and got drunk) when it failed, and lived to hear the phrase “post-feminist” as if we had all gone away somewhere and weren’t going to be bothering people any more. I am a 71-year-old grandmother, and I am and will ever be a feminist.

7. Anaïs Cadieux Van Vliet says:

In parallel to this effort, the Feminist Collective of McGill Law, The Women and the Criminal Law, The Sexual Assault Centre of McGill Student Society and numerous other groups have endorsed a Sexual Assault Policy Proposal for the university, which currently does not have such a policy. Check it out: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mcgill-community-for-a-sexual-assault-policy. Check it out, sign the petition, share your ideas!

8. This is wonderful! It’s so powerful to put faces to feminism.

9. Christie R says:

“Man is defined as a human being and woman is defined as a female. Whenever she tries to behave as a human being she is accused of trying to emulate the male.” — Simone de Beauvoir

It is way past time for this quote to be no longer relevant; the sad fact is de Beauvoir is still right.

10. I’ve been a feminist since I was a tiny girl and didn’t know what a feminist was. I am proud and happy to be a 50 year old feminist who is also married to a feminist Lutheran pastor.
    Thanks for this post!

11. Helen Harper says:

I am a feminist, recently retired (from paid employment, not from feminism). I was recently thrilled and humbled to hear my daughter say that she is a feminist.