As we bring 2014 to a close, we celebrate a year of feminism—a year in which the movement rose to national spotlight (quite literally), sparking conversations and empowerment on a grand scale. For those partaking in New Year’s Eve celebrations (and for those camped out with a good book), we’ve compiled some feminist gems to keep your playlists going long after the ball drops. The genres and decades are varied, but these songs are sure to keep your toes tapping and your feminism flowing. Happy New Year!
New Year’s Eve Feminist Playlist
- “Can’t Hold Us Down” –Christina Aguilera
- “Not Ready to Make Nice” –Dixie Chicks
- “Rebel Girl” –Bikini Kill
- “U.N.I.T.Y.” –Queen Latifah
- “None of Your Business” –Salt-N-Pepa
- “F*** You” –Lily Allen
- “Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves” –Eurythmics and Aretha Franklin
- “No Scrubs” –TLC
- “I’m Not Your Hero” – Tegan and Sara
- “Run the World (Girls)” –Beyoncé
- “I Will Survive” –Gloria Gaynor
- “Hot Topic” –Le Tigre
- “Independent Women Pts. I & II” –Destiny’s Child
Animated gif courtesy of Tumblr.