10 Reasons Why Willow and Jaden Smith’s NYT Interview Is the Best Thing Ever

willowcrop

Willow Smith

Jaden and Willow Smith gave an interview to The New York Times’ T Magazine earlier this week that is incredibly smart—a fusion of Buddhist philosophy, physics and earnest idealism. But people are coming for Willow and Jaden—the children of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith—instead. Gawker called them “nuts.”  The Grio called them “confusing,” a “nightmare,” an “SNL skit waiting to be made,” and accused them of smoking pot. Entertainment Weekly and USA Today called the interview “weird” and ABC called it “outrageous.” New York Daily News settled for “bizarre,” and Billboard rounded it out with “bonkers.”

Why? There is often an inherent assumption that the very young have nothing valid to say—this is why Dylan Farrow and other children are often shot down when making abuse claims, for example—but maybe it’s something more. Could it be that Willow and Jaden are two black kids barely into their teens, and black kids are stereotyped as acting a certain way (cue the ever-present “thug” slur that was thrown at Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Renisha McBride and most black children), but that Willow and Jaden defy stereotypes? There is another long-held stereotype that black children are not smart and instead are troublemakers, manifested in disproportionate school expulsions and suspensions of black children over other races, beginning as young as preschool in the “school-to-prison pipeline.”

Reports Think Progress on a recent study done by the Department of Education:

While black children make up just 18 percent of kids enrolled in preschool programs, they constitute 48 percent of the students suspended more than once. Across all grades, black students suffer suspensions or expulsions at three times the rate of their white counterparts. Black girls, in particular, suffer disproportionate rates of suspension; they receive higher rates of suspension ‘than girls of any other race or ethnicity and most boys,’ the report finds.

One can’t help but think that if Jaden and Willow were 10 years older and white, people might hail them as the second coming of Stephen Hawking and The Beatles and follow them around the country to hear what they thought of next. So here are 10 reasons why Jaden and Willow’s interview is the best thing ever.

1. They are male and female hip-hop artists and do not use the n-word, the b-word, the f-word or the c-word in their music. Really. Other people much older than them could take a lesson.

2. Willow is a feminist. A real one. It’s not just the fact that she has sported a t-shirt emblazoned “Ain’t No Wifey.” With her music, Willow is proud of being able to do “so much for young black girls and girls around the world. Telling them that they can be themselves and to not be afraid to be themselves.”

3. They are spiritual.

Willow: Breathing is meditation; life is a meditation. You have to breathe in order to live, so breathing is how you get in touch with the sacred space of your heart.

Jaden: Your mind has a duality to it. So when one thought goes into your mind, it’s not just one thought, it has to bounce off both hemispheres of the brain. When you’re thinking about something happy, you’re thinking about something sad. … That comes from a place of oneness.

4. They are creative.

Willow: I mean, the beat is usually what moves me. Or I think of concepts. Then when I hear a beat that is, like, elaborating on that concept, I just go off.

Jaden: She freestyles and finds out what she likes. Same thing with me.

Willow: You piece it together. You piece together those little moments of inspiration.

5. They’re more concerned with substance over fluff.

Willow: In my regular life, I put on clothes that I can climb trees in.

6. They like to think and are very smart.

Willow has been writing her own novels since she was six. She also admits to reading quantum physics. Jaden, on time, references Einstein: “It’s proven that how time moves for you depends on where you are in the universe. It’s relative to beings and other places.”

7. They actually want to learn things.

Jaden: Our learning will never end. The school that we go to every single morning, we will continue to go to.

8. They are independent.

When asked “How have you gotten better?” Willow responds with “caring less what everybody else thinks, but also caring less and less about what your own mind thinks, because what your own mind thinks, sometimes, is the thing that makes you sad.” This is called detachment, an aspect of Buddhist philosophy. Why is it that when a Buddhist monk like Pema Chödrön talks about detachment it is seen as genius, but when a black girl does it, she is called “bonkers”?

9. They want to work for social change.

Jaden: The only way to change something is to shock it. If you want your muscles to grow, you have to shock them. If you want society to change, you have to shock them.

10. They love babies and want to protect them.

In a world where grown men like Adrian Peterson and Dwight Howard claim there is nothing wrong with beating children so hard they scar, Willow and Jaden’s perspective is nothing short of refreshing. Listen to this exchange:

Jaden: When babies are born, their soft spots bump: It has, like, a heartbeat in it. That’s because energy is coming through their body, up and down.

Willow: Prana energy.

Jaden: It’s prana energy because they still breathe through their stomach. They remember. Babies remember.

Willow: When they’re in the stomach, they’re so aware, putting all their bones together, putting all their ligaments together. But they’re shocked by this harsh world.

Jaden: By the chemicals and things, and then slowly…

Willow: As they grow up, they start losing.

How about we support, rather than disparage children who are trying to learn and empower themselves to do positive things? Maybe we can learn something from them, too.

Photo from Flickr user Joe Warminsky under license from Creative Commons 2.0

aslan and mommy at the beach edited

Hope Wabuke runs a communications company called The WriteSmiths and is director of media & communications for the Kimbilio Center for African American Fiction. She is currently at work on a poetry collection about her family’s escape from Idi Amin’s Ugandan genocide. She blogs at hope after yoga and you can follow her on Twitter @HopeWabuke.

Comments

1. Scientology narcissistic drivel hammered into them from birth in pure cult fashion. I find it sad and twisted. Children don’t have these thoughts, they think they are the chosen few that will be picked up by their alien brethren who dropped them on this planet, yep that’s Scientology, I am not joking. You can only join the club if you are rich of famous and the rest of us are expendable. Now listen to them again with that in mind.

• Scientology, what are you talking about? These kids have discovered oneness from within! They never speak of a group or religious leadership. They have found something that most humans have lost.

• Thank you!!
          America is so close minded and ignorant. Thats why it is the way it is…
          One day you will all learn though.
          One day you will all find out the truth and true
          happiness.

• Gregg lev says:

What is it they have found? That babies breath through their stomachs and a pulse is “prana energy”? It’s cool to be open minded and creative, but these kids are talking out of their behinds and acting like its some genius truth they speak. A lot of what they say seems to be driven by narcissism, other things are contradictory. Willow openly admits she doesn’t read other authors because they don’t interest her, but then talks about who she is reading. I understand some of the ignorance they display, because I was a kid too, but I didn’t assume my thoughts were the answers to the universe. I don’t think people lose these so called universal truths.. people are busy making a living while these kids are set not having to work. They get to focus on making pop music and thinking they will save the world. This interview did not
          Make them look smart. They should talk less and listen more, they are in a vacuum of ignorance.

• Spencedaddy says:

He once attended the now-defunct New Village Leadership Academy, founded by his mega-famous parents Will and Jada Smith, which came under fire for teaching a Scientology-based curriculum.

This is so stupid and anyone who thinks this higher consciousness crap will die a 3rd eye sheep. How sad…. I bet you feel real in tune with the universe after stopping by gucci and hopping in your G wagon. It’s not cool to be dalai lama unless your actually him. Now can we stop regurgitating everything we read and hear as fact. People used to have to actually prove their points through knowledge and understanding. Somehow it’s become acceptable to hold up a wikipedia page and be treated as a god of facts. We are animals, and really bad ones at that. Any learned person would agree. Any person who reverts back to faith or spout bs than I pray for your soul. See what I did there? Haha

• tori Thompson says:

I don’t know scientology, Buddhism, plus im broke and I agree with their understanding. As a child I often said things to my parents about remembering them before this life. I still do. Please don’t be rude, read what Im writing, twice, you are brilliant and so is your future self but people wont see the real beautiful you unless you don’t say anything unless you have something positive to say. Im not saying you are wrong, or that they are right, but if you try to breathe on your own for ten minutes, you’d stop. Appreciate each breath. Be nice in the present. Personally I think God is trying to reach you, I mean that in the nicest way. Its the season of miracles and blessings, no harm inteded, tori 🙂

• No you can join the club if u begin to think for yourself, im not a Scientology believer, i believe in God, but i also no that society is turning kids into robots, children today dont have any kind of imagination, video games, social media, etc is killing their brains. embrace kids who think outside of the box, don’t critic them..

2. This blog post made me crazy. Why did you make it about race? I don’t think the vast majority of negative responses to the interview had anything to do with the fact that they are your and black. You can fairly argue whether they are evolved and enlightened or brainwashed and naive. But, I don’t believe the criticism comes from a place of stereotyping. They do come across as kooky, not question. They are children of wealthy parents in the entertainment industry who are known to be Scientlogists. That is apparent in many of their responses in the interview. So, I would make a safe assumption that they are not enlightened, but foolish youngsters blinded by a reality that is unique to the Smith family.

• Just out of curiosity… are you black?

• Yes. Sorry to ask but does it matter?? When I took Yoga at my university, people of all cultural backgrounds aspired to exactly what Willow and Jaden talked about and that is empowerment through self discovery and self acceptance, something that most young people struggle with. So, I don’t agree because I’m black, I agree because they’re right. They are ahead of their age and time. The racial aspect that I understand so well is because I am half a century in age and I know what I’m looking at based on my location and American culture. 🙂

• They got this knowledge not from a black person didn’t they? And back when it was taught the people who had the thought we’re called things more positive. Willow and jaded recall it and people feel they are to young or it doesn’t fit the characteristics on how the world thinks they should act. The question is how should they act. Are they crazy or are we to basic to understand?

3. Everything they said is empty nonsense, and theres no way you don’t know that. I really don’t understand the point of this article. And no, if they were white, it’d still be ridiculous. But they’re young. People that young often think any nonsensical thought they have is deep. So whatever. Can we stop giving it attention now?

And also, how is THIS working for social change?

They want to work for social change.

That means nothing at all.

• @Melanie What of they said was empty nonsense? As someone who knows a hint about Buddhism and the arts, everything they said made very real sense to me. They sound more self-aware and socially conscious than any kids their age, besides maybe kids like Malala.

• Thank GOD someone said the truth. all these people calling this bonkers and weird or whatever other term you want to put in there show they have no understanding at all of what Willow and Jaden are talking about. That’s why you attack and insult. They are speaking from their higher-selves and higher consciousnesses you all should learn something from them. We should all aspire to be so aware..

• GOOD POINT

• fix dont break and laugh says:

Rich family or not they are just kids and we need to keep it that way, how about you treat them as if they were your own brothers and sisters. You don’t ridicule kids, infact you support any positive thing they do or say. Atleast they not posing nude or killing people… appreaciate humans in general.

• You’re right, “the only way to change something is to shock it” doesn’t really mean much. However, “the only way to change society is to shock it”, does. This statement means that to change society, you first have to get societies attention. You have to shock or surpass society by standing for something different, and doing such in a big way.

• Gregg lev says:

Of we haven’t been shocked by what has happened in the last 20 years, we will never be shocked until we are all destroyed. I am glad these kids are trying to find spirituality, but they are pretty clear that they are pulling the information from some limited, insular sources (willow doesn read other authors, only her own writing). Without being exposed to everything, how can she be so sure of her so called truths? People want us to treat their statements as if our own children are speaking, but I don’t putt kids in front of reporters and cameras, nor do they make public statements about universal triths they cla to know while
          Dismissing all the other novels and music that isn’t their own. I would be sad ify kids were like this.

• Hey melanie i would just like to tell you that what jaden said about shock changing society is not stupid and it does mean something!! Wasn’t it shock of 9/11 that changed the course of the history of new york?? Just because they are kids and you’re and adult doesn’t give you the right to put down every little thing they say by bringing religion into it and your superiority of being an adult. I mean seriously why is it that you assume young people think nonsensical thoughts?? It just shows how naive you are!!

• It is only empty to a mind that cannot comprehend the reality of life through the eyes of well developed kids. I suppose it’s easier to understand kids who repeat the BS they learn in the slave master’s educational system that keeps them asleep believing what they read in the school books. These kids step out of the system to explore more about life and are actually learning something. YES this world does need a shock to change it. Look at it! Are you even looking at what is happening? The racism, hate, violence, injustice, it goes on. Stay in that bubble of yours if you want but these kids will be on the outside looking into a lot of these self inflicted bubbles asking you are you ready to get out yet. Nothing wrong with these kids. Folks are happier when their kids repeat after the teachers in these minimizing education hubs.

• Who are you to say its empty nonsense? I didn’t read anything you had to say after your first statement because your relevance is zero.

• Lol obviously you’re not someone who works out much, if at all, otherwise you would get the “shock” reference of the muscles and how he applied it to society. Just because your mind doesn’t understand something it doesnt mean it’s nonsense. It just means you are not capable of deep thought.

I really dont care what youd have to say. Just try not to spread your ignorance too far.

• Riki Smith says:

You need to get out more. I have seen and heard this line of thinking dozens of times and if you open your mind and stop being judgmental, you will see that they both made perfect sense. Thank God for differences of opinion and individuality. I’m so grateful that they have had the freedom to follow their own minds and spirits. And they cannot be pigeonholed into these character references that society has put on our children. And yes, the fact that they are black is hugely responsible for the type of response they have received. If this with that boy that was smoking weed and driving around crazy what his name?,… a little blonde boy, he plays instruments; he would be seen as a progressive thinker and a genius and you know it too. I forget the little boy’s name…

• The shock idea resonates with me

4. Thank you for this insightful article. Meditation and quantum physics might seem kooky to some that have not bothered to explore it. I hope I am able to protect the wisdom and authenticity of my children as well as the Smith’s have done.

5. The most brilliant interview of my year! I’m disgusted by the haters. Of course there’s the element of race! Obama’s presidency makes it clear that racists gotta hate.

6. Horselover Fat says:

Melanie . . read the Divine Matrix, Disappearance of the Universe . . OR ANYTHING besides Time magazine accepted reading list. These are ALL very valid interpretations of ancient philosophy and quantum physics. Jesus what gives people the right to just wholesale lambast stuff like this? They obviously hit a key inside people that they feel they are ignoring . . . and they lashed out. GO SMITHS.

7. I see terms they are using as being philosophical more than anything. They use a complex language that can only be understood if you are into philosophy. I wouldn’t call the greatest philosophers in the world crazy, I’d call them enlightened. Personally I hate philosophy, but what they are talking about makes sense. It’s just unfamiliar to a larger portion of the population. Be thankful they are normal, and not acting foolish like Miley Cyrus, Amanda Bynes, and Lindsey Lohan. They have two solid parents who have taught them how to be great people. So they spout buddhist quotes.. it’s better than hearing them talk about shopping or what they ate for breakfast. They are in a position to show the world that they aren’t empty headed teenagers, and for me they succeeded. I’m excited for their futures, they are brilliant kids and I hope to see more from them.

8. sonia williams says:

Wow. Its amazing how little some readers listen to the universe, they must live such superficial life. Not do they not understand meditation and the chia-the way, they do not investigate.
      Let’s just take one example the idea of shocking society to change and refer back to European ideas about the beginning of civilization in ancient Greece…investigate Aristotle’s idea of catharsis….or read Sophocles’ work, one of the oldest plays from Western tradition “Oedipus rex or Oedipus the King which Freud would later name the Oedipus Complex” and see catharsis at work, the society is shocked to cause the change of a character’s flaw. This principle is used in contemporary film, popular music of the west, etc…or even the going to the gym social construct to shape your body….

9. Nice damage control, for all that crap Willow and Jaden spoke in that interview… This is sad. Where were their parents?

10. Nice article, and agreed, the kids make sense. Of course, they make sense in snippets and glimmerings the way young teenagers should. The difference between them and typical teenagers, whether the children of wealthy celebrities or everyday people, is that typical teenagers aren’t stretching to understand these difficult concepts. Bravo to the Pinkett- Smiths for instilling a lifelong love of learning in their children.

Should we consider race in examining the way society has responded to the interview? Yes, of course. Now, I think that if TomKat’s daughter interviews in a similar vein in about ten years, people will be singing the Twilight Zone theme while reading it, too. They’ll call her another one of Scientology’s victims. What they won’t do is shake their heads at the very prospect of her as a thinker. I think the points you raise about these black teenagers having the audacity to spout philosophy instead of rubbish is on point. American heads are exploding everywhere.

And no, the idea of shocking society into change isn’t meaningless; it’s the foundation of revolution; no real change ever comes about without some form of shock to the system.

11. I thought that some ideas of theirs are genius. Others questionable but why should we argue with what makes sense to them? Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions supported by logic they understand. And honestly their music is good. It has a good rhythm and it elaborates on their minds. They don’t swear either which is more than I can say for most teens. That interview was for sure out there and kooky but I wouldn’t say ridiculous and nuts! Give the kids some respect they’re being their own individuals in an unexcepting society.

12. THE THING ABOUT SMART PEOPLE IS THEY SOUND CRAZY TO DUMB PEOPLE.

13. This list is great… except for #10 which is basically “they don’t support child abuse!” How is that a “refreshing” viewpoint? A little harsher editing next time, maybe.

14. Well I’d like to disagree with this matter being based on race itself, no one needs to be a specific colour in order to be acknowledged to having a great mind. You can be whoever in whatever pigment you are coloured in, what irritates me even more is the fact that race is still looked at as a form of oppression towards other people.

Yes they are teenagers (like myself), but that doesn’t mean that you actually need to be a specific age to start making sense on anything you want to say. This is what most parents say at teens when they need to speak their mind, “You are too young. You have a lot to learn. When you are older you’ll understand. Grow up.” Jaden and Willow have grown to careless about what people say so clearly our comments mean nothing. I don’t see how they’d even be “bonkers” if they are referencing things from existing philosophy books. It’s clear that people have a MISUNDERSTANDING on what they are talking about.

15. Love this it made some great points I respect them. They have done nothing wrong towards the world so why do u feel like they need to be disrespected for speaking up. Something we are all free to do. You need to put your personal thoughts about them aside and look at the big picture.

16. The people above are a lot of the reason why society is so hard to change these days. How are you supposed to fix any social problems if people are not willing to even consider that their views may be wrong just because they are common. I’m not trying to say that 100% of the criticism thrown at Willow and Jaden is because of racism but IT IS a factor. Whether or not you choose to believe it, racism is very real EVERYWHERE, whether its a joke or not. I bet that there are people who saw Willow and Jaden’s names and suspected that this article was to be full of nonsense. You all call them lunatics just because their religious views contradict yours. Thats not being a lunatic thats just believing in something different.

17. alishia thompson says:

I loved there interview ,some well most people wont and don’t get it because they are not openminded or on the same level as willow and jayden . we need more kids to aspire to be more conciensious ,and care about the world as they do and care for another human -being ( little children) as they do. More power to them!!

18. I enjoyed reading your article, and thank you for sharing it. I look forward to seeing them evolve into adults, I’m curious what they will take.
      Cheers

19. Hey Hope~

I agree with much of what you’ve stated in your article here. I had the exact same thoughts, though I thought that people called them bonkers because their parents are celebrities, not because they are black. I think most people have this general image of rich kids to be spoiled/bratty/troublemakers, etc. and that’s why they love hating on them.
      The same thing goes for the music they make. The latest tracks by Jaden with Willow doing back-up vocals isn’t bad like most people say. In fact it actually sounds good.
      Just people being bigots again.

20. I truly do not understand the double standard here. I’m On one hand, our children are being taught that bullying is bad and as a society frown upon mean and unkind words, but then with the same potty mouth go ahead and tear down these young minds?!

If everyone were to be held to the same standard of behavior, our children would learn to respect, encourage, praise, and lift up one another instead of constantly criticising and attacking each other. This says to me, that as a society, we are truly failing our young ones.

21. Great article! Putting exactly what I thought about the interview into words. It is clear to me that when critics call them weird, nonsensical, outrageous etc they are just confirming what Jaden and Willow are talking about and their awareness is admirable. Instead of dismissing what they’re saying by pointing out their young age (as a lot of people do to children), they should be even more encouraged to be independent thinkers and grow as a person in the way they chose to grow and believe in whatever they chose to believe.

22. The author didn’t involve race in the subject matter; race (and racism) was already invoked in the responses by the media sites listed.
      As for how shocking the system is working for social change: that is precisely how protest functions, whether in personal interactions or as a movement.

23. Thank you for this article! I am not sure if they were slammed due to race, or age, or just based on what was said but when people do not understand something they tend to reject it and the place from where it came. However, I agree these kinds are speaking of things that of a higher consciousness, and therefore, is not understood by the masses. If it were understood by the masses, it would not be a higher conscious. In this day and age people are so closed minded, and when someone steps out of the box and says something different they have to be “bonkers”, “on drugs”, or its their parents fault. If people picked up a book like these kids do and read things other than blogs, (no diss there), then their mind would be opened to what these kids are saying which is very deep. I am excited to see how these kids change the world as they continue to grow.

24. So the comment section isn’t giving this rave reviews…Yikes. I haven’t read the interview, however, if the children are accurately quoted, what they say holds a validity and truth that most people are simply not ready for. Try to tell people that changing what they put in their bodies, changes what comes out, for instance, and it’s insanity. People aren’t even willing to try. Tell someone to look out for their neighbor (and that’s an antiquated notion that you love your neighbor more than yourself–accepted and quoted in most Christian scripture, which at this point is still the dominant religion in the US) and you’re a communist. Now, I will say because it must be said, that their “enlightened” (as that seems to be the word of the day) views come from a stance of privilege. However, there are lots of privileged children who quote spiritual doctrine and are praised for it. You might add race to this, however, I think it’s just the content of the children’s words and not the color of their skin that is so “shocking” to the rest of us. What they say comes from a place that “should be beyond their years” and is sort of counter-culture right now. The upside of course, is that if they truly embrace this place of not caring what others think (and good for them, that’s a tremendous battle to overcome), they won’t mind that the same people who fight the good fight on Facebook (striving for the million clicks to cure cancer) are the ones who criticize them.

25. If you have no clue to what Jaden and Willow are talking about then it will seem as if they are talking nonsense, but this is not true. Jaden and Willow are actually talking about things that are true and can be easily looked at on the Internet if one chooses to take the time. Personally, I love Willow and Jaden because their parents have given them a freedom that most of us don’t have and it’s because of this freedom that they’ve been able to develop themselves and the way they think in this manner. I think how people view the world and how you choose to make sense of it all is no right or wrong answer here because how I view the world and make sense of it may not be how you do it, but it certainly doesn’t make one answer more right than the other. It just means that different people view things in different ways and I think as a people we need to start embracing each others differences because if we all thought the same then the world would be quite boring and then we wouldn’t be individuals.

1. Prana Energy – In Sanskrit “Prana” is the word for “Life force”. Prana is mostly known in yoga, but it also comes into play in Indian medicine and martial arts. This life energy, prana, has been vividly invoked and described in Vedas. Vedas ‘are a large body of texts originating in ancient India. Composed in Vedic Sanskrit, the texts constitute the oldest layer of Sanskrit literature and the oldest scriptures of Hinduism. Hindus consider the Vedas to be apauruṣeya (“not of human agency”). They are supposed to have been directly revealed, and thus are called śruti (“what is heard”), distinguishing them from other religious texts, which are called smṛti (“what is remembered”).’ So, Prana energy is basically believing that there is a life energy that underlines everything in reality. Or as said in one article, “Whatever moves or has life is but an expression or manifestation of Prana. It is Prana that shines in your eyes. It is through the power of Prana that the ear hears, the eye sees, the skin feels, the tongue tastes, the nose smells and the brain and the intellect perform their functions. The smile of a young lady, the melody in music, the power in the emphatic words of an orator, the charm in the speech of one’s beloved are all due to Prana. Whatever you behold in this sense-world, whatever moves or works or has life, is but an expression or manifestation of Prana.” So basically whenever Jaden and Willow were talking about babies breathing through their stomach and how aware babies are etc they were saying that all of that happens because of Prana energy.
      2. This brings me to my next point, which is babies do in fact breath through their stomachs when infants. It is called abdominal breathing and it is normal and instinct in infants and babies. It is also the healthiest type of breathing for them because it gives them more oxygen in take. Also, not only were Jaden and Willow speaking truth about this, but also when they said that babies forget. As babies grow older babies, they learn to “chest breath” and forget abdominal breathing unless they voluntarily willed not to forget. Infants primarily breathe through their stomachs because their abdominal muscles have not been fully developed yet and their chest expansion isn’t that noticeable. There is also not much space in the chest for the lungs to expand. There are also more reasons why, but feel free to check out the links at the bottom.
      3. Also, Jaden was also speaking truth when he talked about time. In this article the entire quote is not there, but still what he did say about time being different depending on the person and where they are etc is based on Einstein’s theory of relativity. In Einstein’s theory he ‘determined that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, and he showed that the speed of light within a vacuum is the same no matter the speed at which an observer travels. As a result, he found that space and time were interwoven into a single continuum known as space-time. Events that occur at the same time for one observer could occur at different times for another.’
      4. Also, Detachment is in fact a practice in Buddhism.

Sources:

Prana

Theory of Relativity

Detachment

Abdominal Breathing

26. For all of you who say this is “empty nonsense” or “bullshit” or whatever the hell you are all saying, I feel sorry for you and I pity you and your level of thinking. You weak minded people are the reason why our country has gone to shit and will continue to do so. You are all slaves, slaves to someone else’s thinking generally which has crippled you to not be able to think for yourselves. These two children are indeed very bright and are sharing with the world the gifts God has given them, which they aren’t afraid to show, like most people in this world. Everything they say is very deep and intellectual and makes complete sense to someone who controls their own way of thinking and can see past the bullshit wall society has put up. Wake up people, because if you don’t, you will be another casualty to society!

27. “One can’t help but think that if Jaden and Willow were 10 years older and white, people might hail them as the second coming of Stephen Hawking and The Beatles and follow them around the country to hear what they thought of next. ” What unequivocal nonsense. These to children are not smart or intelligent, they are overconfident, obnoxious, and weird. To suggest that criticizing their ridiculous claims on time and space and everything inbetween has anything to do with their race is foolishness, and more importantly takes light away from the genuine moments where children of color are inappropriately shut down.

Neil de Grass Tyson writes about how when he was a children one of his science teachers discouraged him from being interested in the sciences and instead focus on basketball. That’s inappropriate. Calling out Willow and Jaden on their nonsense is perfectly appropriate.

To suggest that had they been white we would have been comparing their ridiculous arguments to the workings of Hawkins, naively assumes the reason why we took Hawkins seriously is because of his race and not the fact that, you know, the actual scientific theories he put forth actually had some basis in reality.

28. I am somewhat surprised yet in some ways not surprised but disappointed. I grew up with a father that encouraged very honest and real truths, knowledge and values. With that said, for those that do not get what these two young individuals are speaking about, I suggest you indulge yourself in knowledge. Knowledge of the different religions and thoughts and theories. I find it absolutely sad because growing up in the 80s and 90s I still loved education and reading. I knew of many peers that were too heavily focused on the material things in life and always having fun on what they considered to be “cool” as Movies and music have popularized it to be. How sad it is to not be aware and consistently aware. To think on a worldly scale as apposed to a small minded, it’s my life and the world revolves around me scale. It’s very disturbing that a vast majority truly look at these two young beautiful adolescents and really find them to be weird or crazy. Then people wonder why our world is that of which exists. Perhaps if people were more worldly on a mental level and actually learned to value and appreciate knowledge on the scale that sadly few of us do, then the world would not have the idiotic and disturbing problems that exist today.

29. I’m totally cool with all of the subjects they spoke on, and yes, the statements are factually correct. Still (and maybe this can be blamed on editing ), it strikes me as “someone knowing just enough to get in trouble”. The mile-high view of relativity, as an example, is pretty straightforward to conceptualize and utter a few basic facts about. Let’s see this teenage wunderkind drill down into some equations and describe the behavior of light at the photon level, maybe I’ll be impressed. Such smart kids (and parents) should know that not everything that pops into your head needs to come out of your mouth, for any number of reasons. That’s a word to the wise of all ages. Thus, if they’re ‘brilliant’ enough to come out with such pronouncements, they should be open to hear blowback by all us unenlightened knuckle draggers who have to deal with more mundane issues like earning livings , raising children and all that boring stuff.

30. The Beatles werent thinking that at age 14 though, they started thinking that after they got older and started taking all those drugs lol.. Theses kids are not the norm. but maybe thats a good thing..

31. All I thought when I heard this interview was that I was glad nobody ever interviewed me when I was their age- I read just about everything I could and could have been mocked just as thoroughly. The kids like to read- they read a wide variety of subjects and they’re excited about what they’re reading! They’re right on target for curious, bright kids of that age- at times insightful and at times a little vague and incoherent. So what? Were you born with perfect critical thinking skills? There’s more yoga and Buddhism in here than Scientology. Good for them for caring about ideas when they have every excuse to be shallow and materialistic. Give the kids a break.

32. Thinking outside the box is a good thing. We shouldn’t criticize kids for that. That’s for sure.
      However, what they are saying is simply moronic.
      You can maybe sometimes tell that they’re trying to say something smart, however the way they phrase it is simply dumb. And quite sad.
      They clearly have not understood the quantum physics.
      They are just trying to repeat things they think make sense… without fully comprehending any of it.
      That interview was just stupid. And their thoughts are not formed. They should keep their thoughts to themselves until they can defend them properly. Right now, they’re just making a fool of themselves.
      Read it people. It has nothing to do with being black, or white. Scientology or not. Kids or not. It’s just purely a dumb interview.

33. If you read the interview, it’s very clear both children are very intelligent and precocious. But also very pretentious, self-absorbed, and goofy as hell, like lots of teenagers we know. The difference is most teenagers don’t have celebrity parents and agents setting up interviews for them. It’s the NY Times! This will go to their heads, and they’ll continue spouting silly drivel, and eventually we’ll all stop talking about it. The sad thing is, this single interview has given them a reputation for being kooky, and that will be very difficult to shed, exacerbated by the fact that they’re just children, who may be ill-equipped to deal with the baggage of celebrity. If they’re not careful, they’ll become the next Lady Gaga, who was groundbreaking at first, but now everyone just rolls their eyes when she pulls her next stunt. Overexposure can hinder one’s effectiveness in being provocative and innovative. It certainly makes you wonder what strategy Mr. and Mrs. Smith have in place for dealing with the fallout, which has been unprecedented.

As my friend so succinctly put it, there is real value in being challenged about your ideas and in being criticized. How often do you think Jaden and Willow ever encountered that?

34. This is all pure Scientology crap which they have been sadly exposed to their entire lives so they don’t know any better. Any religion you have to pay to be a part of, is a cult, a scam and has no connection with any higher power(God). They are fed this garbage so they feel superior to everyone else because they have to get something for all the money they’ve donated. The basis for Scientology are shaky at best, and it prays on the weak minded, those desperate to believe in something. I personally enjoy the South Park episode which makes fun of it all while being truthful about what they believe and why they believe it. These poor kids will grow up to be outcasts, weird, with no proper schooling. So nothing to fall back on when their careers inevitably fail.

35. I have to admit somethings do sound strange but im able to read and really grasp what they mean.. that thing jaden said about when you are happy you are really remembering being sad its crazy but it makes sense.. and I respect them so much even if in the end everything they speak of was bullshit, they are so unpreoccupied with what most rich kids are preoccupied with and thats maintaining the status and the money and fame and they just seem to be so focused on growing and being better more informed and aware people.. People can say what they want and i dont fully get them either, but is respect them so much and the people saying oh they just do this to be different because different is cool, bitch you try and be different.. you try and go against the norm see how much fun you have.. you have to be fully and extremely sure of something to live the lives they live.