The Association for Research on Mothering is an organization which I’ve admired from afar:
The Association for Research on Mothering (ARM), founded in 1998, is the first international feminist organization devoted specifically to the topic of mothering-motherhood. Our mandate is to provide a forum for the discussion and dissemination of research on motherhood and to establish a community of individuals and institutions working and researching in the area of mothering and motherhood.
Now, because York University won’t support their work anymore, ARM is closing on May 1, 2010. Talk about a May Day for mothers worldwide!
ARM does some great work on behalf of mothering and mothers everywhere. You should read PhD in Parenting’s reaction to the closing of ARM:
I am a mother. I am a feminist. Despite not currently being enrolled at a university, I consider myself an academic and a researcher. I love the Association for Research on Mothering. I love what it stands for. I love its books. I love its journal. I love the fact that it brings thought leadership to the important role that mothers play in society. … I’m disappointed that there will no longer be a place to bring together the important research on mothering and to foster the research and thinking on this topic. I’m heartbroken that I may never get to read some of the forthcoming books, like Mothering Canada (Spring 2010), Disability and Mothering (Spring 2010), Giving Breast Milk (Spring 2010), The M Word: Real Mothers in Contemporary Art (Fall 2010), You Say You Want a Revolution: The 21st Century Motherhood Movement (Fall 2010) …more
If you are upset that ARM is closing due to York’s refusal to support them, ARM is asking you to:
Direct comments or questions on the forced closure of ARM to the following individuals (please cc firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com):
- Associate Dean of Research, FLAPS, Barbara Crow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Executive Officer, FLAPS, Felim Greene, email@example.com
- Associate Dean, External Relations, FLAPS, Moghissi Haideh, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean, FLAPS, Martin Singer, email@example.com
- Vice President, Research and Innovation, Stan Shapson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Vice President Research, Social Sciences and the Humanities, David Dewitt, email@example.com
- Vice-President Academic & Provost, Patrick Monahan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director, Office of Research Services, David Phipps, email@example.com
- President and Vice Chancellor, Mamdouh Shoukri, firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also help by joining the new Friends of the Association for Research and Mothering Group on Facebook or by contacting email@example.com to assist with the drive to raise the $20,000 needed for ARM to survive.
UPDATE: The Association for Research and Mothering is now the Journal of the Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement.
Get involved with more calls to action from Ms. here